The Office of the Vice President for Research, Development and
may be the youngest of all the VP offices in the University, but it
certainly has one of the most interesting beginnings.
From its progenitor, the Department of Research and Statistics was
established in November 1951, the office underwent changes in name as
well as in functions. The different presidents that steered the
University have caused the reorganization of the research arm of their
administrations as they saw fit.
In 1955, the Department was renamed the Department of Research,
Statistics, and Evaluation. In 1961, it was called the Department of
Research and Statistics with Dean Mateo Esguerra as Head. Under the
leadership of Prof. Edna Formilleza in 1970, the Department was
considered an "auxiliary instructional department" under the direct
supervision of the Office of the President.
When martial law was declared in 1972, the Department of Research and
Statistics was converted into an administrative office, the Office of
Planning and Statistics with Prof. Leticia Arbis as the Chief. Another
reorganization made by PCC President Isabelo T. Crisostomo in 1974-1975
renamed the unit the Office of Research and Development with Mr. Alfredo
Uy as Chief. Prof. Elmer Abueg took over from Mr. Uy. In 1977, Dr. Pablo
T. Mateo upgraded the Office of Research and Development to a department
and renamed it the Department of Research under the Vice President for
Academic Affairs. Prof. Leticia Arbis was reappointed as its head with
the position of a director. In 1979, the PCC was converted into a
chartered state university through PD 1341. The Department was
restructured and named Department of Planning and Research with four
units under it.
A popular mass action in 1986 reinstalled Dr. Nemesio Prudente as PUP
President. Another University reorganization took place and the
Department was renamed Department of Research, Planning and Development
In 1994, Prof. Paz Navarro was appointed DRPD Director, replacing
Prof. Leticia Arbis who retired from the University. During this time,
the Science and Technology Research and Development Center (SCITECH),
Special Projects Office (SPO), and the Electronic Data Processing (EDP)
were put under the supervisory wings of the DRPD.
Dr. Mely Padilla took over the DRPD reins from Prof. Navarro when the
latter retired. The research functions of the DRPD then included the
conduct of institutional researches, data bank management for faculty,
staff and students, and the conduct of faculty evaluation by the
Two bodies were formed, namely, the University Research Council (URC)
and the University Project Evaluation Committee (UPEC) to promote
research among the University constituents.
In November 1998, Dr. Ofelia M. Carague ascended the PUP Presidency.
A university reorganization took place and the DRPD was elevated into
the Office of the Vice President for Research and Development (OVPRD),
with Dr. Normita A. Villa as the Vice President. This proved the
University's renewed commitment to make research a focal point in its
bid for excellence.
The determination with which the University committed itself to
research required focused efforts that resulted in the formulation of
the University Research Manual that contained the guidelines for the
preparation of research proposals by colleges and other units, as well
as for the evaluation of these research proposals by the UPEC and URC
for university funding. The OVPRD also began exploring possible research
collaboration with national and international organizations.
Under the skillful leadership of OIC Dr. Samuel M. Salvador, PUP
continues to make rapid strides in research and development. For the
100th Foundation Anniversary, the OVPRD has committed to write the PUP
History, publish 100 monographs, and a book on leading alumni
In May, 2006 Dr. Victoria C. Naval took over as the Vice President
for Research and Development. In the brief period that Dr. Victoria C.
Naval assumed the vice presidency of the OVPRD before her promotion to
the office of the EVP, much was accomplished by the office in terms of
honest-to-goodness involvement in research and development. The
following were but a few of these achievements which can be credited to
- holding of an action planning seminar workshop “Proactive Action
Planning: Creating the Future”
- setting the new directions for R&D by the VPRD
- forging of a research consortium with the DLSU, UST, and PLM
organizing the Metropolitan Manila Industry, Energy Research
Development to strengthen research on alternative energy,
environment, food processing, and other concerns
- contract signing between CHED Chair Carlito Puno and PUP Acting
President Dante Guevarra with DLSU Pres. Armin Luistro for PUP to
lead in the CHED-approved and funded Studies on Distance Education
- participation in DOST’’s Technology Innovation for
Commercialization (TECHNICOM) Program
- observation tour of American Ivy Leagues (Harvard, Yale,
Princeton) by the PO Director Dr. Milagros Cañares to learn more
about the intricacies of publishing refereed journals; and a side
visit to the New York office of the internationally renowned Reuters
News Agency to confer with PUP alumnus Gene Ramos, former The
- starting the development of the OVPRD Website
- playing a major role in Ched’s Graduate Tracer Study with Dr.
Joseph Mercado, CS Dean, as project leader for PUP
After its much-celebrated centennial in 2004, the University embarks
anew on its continuing mission of providing the much needed quality
education, primarily to the country’s economically challenged but
academically qualified students. Today, with Dr. Dante G. Guevarra as
the Acting President and Dr. Pastor B. Malaborbor as VPRD, the OVPRD
continues to be a major partner of the University in its quest to truly
become a powerhouse not only in the areas of instruction and extension,
but also in the area of research.