In October 1904, Manila Business School (MBS) was founded as a
response to the demand for training personnel for the government service
and to the call to provide skills vital for private business employment.
The MBS was a part of a City School System under the superintendence of
CA O'Reilley. It offered vocational-technical courses such as Typing,
Bookkeeping, Stenography, and Telegraphy.
Four years afterward, since the great majority of its students came
from the provinces, the MBS was made into an Insular (or national) school
and accordingly renamed Philippine School of Commerce (PSC). At
first, the intermediate curriculum was prescribed in addition to subjects
such as Typewriting, Bookkeeping, and Stenography. Later on, a
four-year secondary course in Commerce was offered in addition to the
courses in Bookkeeping, Stenography, Typewriting, and Telegraphy.
After a notable academic venture, the PSC offered in 1912 a one-year
course in Stenography for high school graduates. The course proved
to be successful and popular because of its positive results. Those
who took the course got easily employed as stenographers and later as
1917, to keep in step with changing conditions, the PSC started revising
its courses of study. Under the leadership of Acting Principal Luis F.
Reyes, it continually raised its general requisites. To enable young
people employed during the daytime to acquire further training, it opened
night classes. These classes were discontinued in 1932 because of the
government's retrenchment policy.
From then on, PSC continued producing technically skilled graduates and
helped them get in better jobs.
In 1951, from short courses and business programs, the PSC broadened
its program offerings by including Teacher Training, Business Education,
After four years, the PSC doubled its aggressiveness in providing
skilled workforce to different industries. Remarkably, students got hired
even before graduation. After World War II, many alumni who owned
businesses or held key positions in large-scale enterprises made vehement
request for PSC undergraduates and alumni to fill up the vacant posts in
1962, President Nemesio E. Prudente commissioned Prof. Ramon Villena to
organize the Philippine College of Commerce Placement Service Unit
(PCC-PSU) and appointed him as the first Placement Officer. Other
members of PSU included Prof. Reynaldo Pascua, who was the Assistant
Placement Officer and all-around psychometrician, secretary, and
messenger. Applicants were carefully screened in terms of mental
ability, communication skills, and job competencies. A pool of 20 to
30 students was trained for job referrals to different requesting
After five years, Prof. Reynaldo V. Pascua was reappointed Placement
Officer until 1967 when Prof. Guillermo Mangahas took over for a five-year
term. The Office was renamed Placement Bureau during the time of
Prof. Arsenio Jose in 1972.
During the presidency of Dr. Isabelo T. Crisostomo, Prof. Adelaida
Zamora became Chief of the Placement Bureau up to 1976. Prof. Ramon
Villena once again served from 1976 to 1979.
PCC was converted into the Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP)
in 1978, the Placement Bureau was renamed Placement Office.
In 1979, during the time of Dr. Pablo T. Mateo, Prof. Helen T. Cuason
was designated as Chief of Placement Office. She initiated the Job
Fair, which eventually became an annual event. Prof. Cuason
also introduced the following placement programs:
- 1980 - Employers transacted with PUP
for direct hiring of PUP students.
- 1984-1986 - Civil Service
Examinations were administered to graduating students on campus.
- Night session program was offered to deserving working students in the
Eight years after, Dr. Nemesio E. Prudente was reinstalled PUP
President and Prof. Elizabeth Santos was designated as Chief. She
served up to 1992. After Dr. Prudente’s term, Dr. Zenaida A. Olonan,
as President, again designated Prof. Helen T. Cuason to head the Placement
From June 1997 to December 1998, Dr. Milagros R. Morales was appointed
as Chief after which Prof. Helen Cuason was reinstated in January 1998.
Prof. Helen Cuason stayed on as Chief of the Placement Office until August
In September 2004, Dr. Erlinda C. Garcia took over until September
2005. She advocated the promotion of closer ties with different
companies to provide better job opportunities for both alumni and
students. In January 2006, when Prof. Jesusa C. Malvar sat as Chief
for a year, she authored the Vision/Mission of the University Placement
Office (UPO) and improved the image of the office by making it acquire a
In January to October 2007, Prof. Iris Rowena A. Bernardo took charge
of the Office. For a few months, she was able to initiate placement
activities like a job fair and job referrals for students who wanted to
establish careers in various reputable companies.
In October 2007, Prof. Ria Santos-Fajilago was appointed as Chief by
President Dante G. Guevarra to continue the advocacy of the previous
Placement heads. She prioritized the accessibility of Placement services
to all stakeholders- PUP students and alumni, private companies,
non-government and government organizations. Also, Prof. Fajilago
initiated research proposals on career services and other placement
From University Placement Office (UPO) the Office became Career
Development and Placement Office (CDPO). The Executive Committee approved
the renaming of the office into CDPO with the intention of addressing
global needs. In October 2008, the position of Chief was upgraded to
Director, hence, Prof. Fajilago was designated as Director. The two
Faculty Assistants, Prof. Ireneo C. delas Armas, Jr. and Prof. Malaya
Abadilla-Ygot who were previously tasked to handle Local and International
Career Development and Placement units, respectively, became Chiefs of
Local and International Career Development and Placement on March 17,
Today, CDPO focuses on the following thrusts in career development and
- Accessibility of Services
- Quality Services
- Income-Generating Projects