This period covers the time where the business school became a
college whose main thrust is in commerce.
Through Republic Act (RA) 778 passed by both houses of Congress on
May 20, 1952 and signed by then Philippine President Elpidio
Quirino on June 21, 1952, the PSC was converted into the
Philippine College of Commerce (PCC), with Luis F. Reyes as its
first president. The PCC broadened its program offerings with the
inclusion of undergraduate courses in commerce and related fields.
This Institution celebrated its Golden Jubilee.
The 50th Founding Anniversary was celebrated on the Lepanto
Grounds (October 1954)
For its "dynamic leadership in vocational business
education", the PCC was conferred by the Business Writers
Association of the Philippines the title of "Business College
of the Year."
The Annex Building (also in S.H. Loyola St.),
which had housed the Congress of the Philippines, was officially turned over
When Reyes retired, Prof. Pacifico A. Velilla took over the
Pacifico A. Velilla
Atty. Victor dela Torre was designated Acting College
Victor dela Torre
Immediately after assuming the presidency, Dr. Nemesio E.
Prudente established an Advisory Committee for the President, a
CPA review class, a scholarship committee, and a codified set of
rules and regulations for the College.
Dr. Nemesio E. Prudente
The College Code was printed, the
Public Relations Program established, and the first issue of the PCC Faculty Journal
published. Other initiatives taken during that school year include:
- Inclusion of more liberal arts courses in the curriculum;
- Establishment of the Book Bank and the Student Loan Fund;
- Elevation of high school teachers to the rank of Assistant
- Establishment of the Junior Executive Training Program.
Through Pres. Diosdado Macapagal's proclamation, the Pandacan
site of the Bureau of Animal Industry was reserved for PCC's use.
The student assistantship program was instituted and a system of
financial aid was introduced. Instructors with masteral and
doctoral degrees were, as a matter of policy, automatically
promoted to Assistant Professor 1 and Assistant Professor 2,
Important developments during
that school year include:
- The reservation, through Pres. Ferdinand Marcos'
declaration, of a 10-hectare lot in Bicutan, Taguig for PCC use;
The adoption of a policy of student involvement in PCC's
Revision of courses of study; and
Enrichment of the traditional vocational course with more
liberal arts and cultural courses aimed at the PCC students' holistic education as well as
the reinforcement of classroom learning with varied co-curricular activities.
The development of the preceding school year led to the rise
of social consciousness among the PCC constituents and to the
revision of the college charter by the passage of RA No. 6980
authorizing the offering of courses in the social sciences
related to business education. Besides, the Sta. Mesa (A. Mabini)
Campus was assigned for the use and disposition of the PCC.
Also, the titles of the lots on S.H. Loyola St. were awarded to
PCC through congressional legislation.
Initiatives included the
- Appointment of the president of the Supreme Student Council as
member of the Board of Trustees (now Board of Regents)
- Offering of the following in lieu of the two-year basic
commercial course: Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts, and Master
of Business Administration
- Securing the exemption of PCC personnel from civil service
rules and regulation as well as from the application of the Wage
and Position Classification Office (WAPCO) criteria
- Short-term courses in Electronic Data Processing (EDP) were
offered under the Faculty of Accountancy
Among the important developments
- Revision of the College Code;
- Transfer of the Laboratory High School from S.H. Loyola
Campus to A. Mabini Campus; and
- Creation of the Katipunan Foundation, Inc.