This period covers the time where the business school became a college
whose main thrust is in commerce.
Through Republic Act (RA) 778 passed by both houses of
Congress on May 20, 1952 and signed by then Philippine President Elpidio
Quirino on June 21, 1952, the PSC was converted into the Philippine College
of Commerce (PCC), with Luis F. Reyes as its first president. The PCC
broadened its program offerings with the inclusion of undergraduate courses
in commerce and related fields.
This Institution celebrated its Golden Jubilee.
The 50th Founding Anniversary was celebrated on
the Lepanto Grounds (October 1954)
For its "dynamic leadership in vocational business education", the PCC
was conferred by the Business Writers Association of the Philippines the
title of "Business College of the Year."
The Annex Building (also in S.H. Loyola St.), which had housed the
Congress of the Philippines, was officially turned over to PCC.
When Reyes retired, Prof. Pacifico A. Velilla took over
the PCC presidency.
Pacifico A. Velilla
Atty. Victor dela Torre was designated Acting College
Victor dela Torre
Immediately after assuming the presidency, Dr. Nemesio E.
Prudente established an Advisory Committee for the President, a CPA review
class, a scholarship committee, and a codified set of rules and regulations
for the College.
Dr. Nemesio E. Prudente
The College Code was printed, the Public Relations Program
established, and the first issue of the PCC Faculty Journal published. Other
initiatives taken during that school year include:
- Inclusion of more liberal arts courses in the curriculum;
- Establishment of the Book Bank and the Student Loan Fund;
- Elevation of high school teachers to the rank of Assistant
- Establishment of the Junior Executive Training Program.
Through Pres. Diosdado Macapagal's proclamation, the
Pandacan site of the Bureau of Animal Industry was reserved for PCC's use.
The student assistantship program was instituted and a system of financial
aid was introduced. Instructors with masteral and doctoral degrees were, as
a matter of policy, automatically promoted to Assistant Professor 1 and
Assistant Professor 2, respectively.
Important developments during that school year include:
- The reservation, through Pres. Ferdinand Marcos' declaration, of a
10-hectare lot in Bicutan, Taguig for PCC use;
- The adoption of a policy of student involvement in PCC's official
- Revision of courses of study; and
- Enrichment of the traditional vocational course with more liberal
arts and cultural courses aimed at the PCC students' holistic education
as well as the reinforcement of classroom learning with varied
The development of the preceding school year led to the
rise of social consciousness among the PCC constituents and to the revision
of the college charter by the passage of RA No. 6980 authorizing the
offering of courses in the social sciences related to business education.
Besides, the Sta. Mesa (A. Mabini) Campus was assigned for the use and
disposition of the PCC. Also, the titles of the lots on S.H. Loyola St. were
awarded to PCC through congressional legislation.
Initiatives included the following:
- Appointment of the president of the Supreme Student Council as
member of the Board of Trustees (now Board of Regents)
- Offering of the following in lieu of the two-year basic commercial
course: Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts, and Master of Business
- Securing the exemption of PCC personnel from civil service rules and
regulation as well as from the application of the Wage and Position
Classification Office (WAPCO) criteria
- Short-term courses in Electronic Data Processing (EDP) were offered
under the Faculty of Accountancy
Among the important developments were:
- Revision of the College Code;
- Transfer of the Laboratory High School from S.H. Loyola Campus to A.
Mabini Campus; and
- Creation of the Katipunan Foundation, Inc.