To keep pace with changing conditions, the University underwent
continuous change in this period. This is where the first lady president of
the University was appointed and the first University president to undergo a
Important events that took place in that year:
- Establishment of the Research Center for Peace, Justice, and
- Setting of special make-up classes in English
- Inauguration of the new four-storey three-wing University Library.
- Granting of teaching and research chairs in Management by the
Personnel Management Association of the Philippines.
- Publication of five Open University modules, Sinag of the CAS, IC
Balita, Student Handbook, LBEC Handbook, RIPE monographs, STRDC
- Signing of MOA with Palawan National Agricultural College, Quirino
State College, and University of Southeastern Philippines for the
offering by the University of Master of Educational Management.
- Offering by the Pamantasang Bayan of vocational / technical and
baccalaureate programs in 25 municipalities.
- Signing of MOA with Bataan Shipyard and Engineering College, Inc.,
which agreed to become a training station of the College of Engineering,
- Start of construction of Mass Communications Center of the
- Retirement of Dr. Nemesio E. Prudente, designation of Dr. Zenaida A.
Olonan as Officer-in-Charge.
- Appointment of Dr. Jaime Gellor as Acting President (April 3 - July
3, 1992), which created confusion.
- Appointment of Dr. Zenaida A. Olonan as first lady President of the
Dr. Zenaida A. Olonan
The PUPWebSite Project began.
This is the first insignia used for this site. It
began as a feasibility project of a group of computer students who
named themselves as the Abyss Creative Group
On October 11, 1997, Pres. Fidel V. Ramos conferred his support for the
computerization project of the University.
The former Bachelor in Information Technology (BIT) was revised as
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) while the Bachelor in
Computer Data Processing and Management (BCDPM) was improved and became
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT).
The PUPWebSite Project was changed to PUPWebSite and it
served as the official Internet site of the University. It formally launched
on January 27, 1998 in GeoCities.com.
On August 1998: Pres. Joseph Estrada visited PUP during its "Linggo ng
Wika" Celebration. During that time, his Excellency conferred his support
for the construction of theInformation Technology Center of the University.
On November 13, Dr. Ofelia M. Carague was appointed President of the
University and the first to undergo Republic Act 8292 (or the Higher
Education Modernization Act), wherein the selection was made through a
Dr. Ofelia M. Carague
A series of infrastructure projects started on this year spearheaded by
the Special Projects Office.
The University celebrated its 95th Foundation Anniversary
with the theme: "Sandaang Taon Para Sa Pilipino, Panimulang Pagdiriwang"
(One Hundred Years for the Filipino, The Beginning of the Celebration). This
is the first of five countdown celebrations to the University's centennial.
The computerization program of the University that spearheaded the
creation of new offices - the PUP Information Linkages Systems (PUPILS,
headed by Prof. Rosicar E. Escober) and PUP Information Technology Center
(PUP IT Center, headed by Prof. Mely R. Luya).