Historically, the establishment of the College of Business Administration
may be traced from the time the Manila Business School was formed in 1904.
The institution was organized primarily to cater to the needs of businesses
around Manila for graduates in business short-term courses particularly for
secretarial and clerical jobs. The school was eventually renamed to
Philippine School of Commerce in 1908.
Through the years, courses in the school were updated to signify its
commitment to the business sector for skilled and competent manpower as well
as developing individuals not only technically but as also morally who can
play significant role in nation-building. Thus, from the time it was
created, the college served as catalyst in improving productivity, has
promoted entrepreneurship and self-reliance essential in the attainment of
social and economic development in the country. The college was able to
train successful businessmen and national leaders who at that time wielded
corporate or political power in their respective domain.
The College was formally organized into a regular business college during
the first quarter of 1958 under the presidency of Mr. Pacifico Vellila with
the establishment of the Department of Marketing. The new department was
responsible for both marketing and Business Education courses. In 1960,
realizing the significant role played by marketing in the economic
development of the country, the Board of Trustees approved the offering of a
four year course degree in marketing leading to Bachelor of Science in
Commerce major in Marketing. That same year, the Department of Economics and
General Business was created and offered the course leading to the degree of
Bachelor of Science in Commerce major in Economics and Management. However
the new department was essentially incapable in terms of facilities and
qualified faculty but nonetheless, the students received it with enthusiasm.
On December 15, 1964, under the able leadership of Dr.Nemesio E. Prudente
who was appointed acting president of the then Philippine College of
Commerce (PCC) by virtue of a Board of Trusteesâ€™ resolution which approved
the introduction of an advertising course in the college;this made PCC the
first and only college that offered a four-year collegiate course in
advertising. In the early part of 1970, under the leadership of Prof. Mateo
S. Esguerra , the Department of Economics, Finance, Mathematics and
Management was merged with the Departments of Marketing and Advertising.
However the merger was eventually disbanded as departments involved became
independent. The College of Business offered various courses during its
infancy stage which may be categorized as follows:
On April 1, 1978 by virtue of Presidential Decree Number 1341, the
Philippine College of Commerce (PCC) was converted into a chartered state
university, now known as the Polytechnic University of the Philippines. A
year later in 1979 , the university undertook massive reorganization that
resulted to the creation of the faculty of Accountancy , Business and
Cooperatives under Dean Mateo S. Esguerra. However, in 1980, the faculty of
accountancy became a separate unit and the degree Bachelor of Science in
Commerce was renamed Bachelor in Business Management. The accelerated
ladderized course in Computer Data Processing was first introduced as
four-year degree course in 1979. The university earned the reputation to be
the first academic institution to introduce such course in the country. Dr.
Ofelia M. Carague was appointed to head the Electronic Data processing and
Computer Management Program.
The College of Business may be distinguished as the pioneering college in
the university which has provided enormous contribution to PUP for the
realization of its goals and objectives. The following Deans of the College
of Business, were among those who, in one way or the other did make
the college truly instrumental to the success of the university and in show
of respect and acknowledgement to their contribution; we can enumerate them
to include the following:
Today, with its continued growth, the college is considered to be the
biggest among PUPâ€™s colleges and remain one of the universityâ€™s agents of
social and economic change, itâ€™s creating a dynamic curricula offering.
All content is in the public domain unless otherwise stated.
Learn more about the Philippine government, its structure, how government works and the people behind it.
Please click/tap the appropriate link to help you in your navigation of our services
Applicant Student Faculty Member or Employee Researcher or Extensionist Alumni Campus Life Institutional Accreditation Back to Homepage