The organic act which established the Civil Government in the Philippine Islands in 1901 made provision for the establishment of the Philippine School of Commerce. However, the school was organized in 1904.
In response to the demand for training personnel for the
government service and to the felt need to provide skills essential for
private business employment, the Manila Business School (MBS) was founded on
October 1904 as part of a City School system under the superintendence of
Gabriel Ambrose O'Reilly.
It offered the prescribed intermediate curriculum and such
vocational-technical courses as typing, bookkeeping, stenography, and
One of the very first homes of the Manila
No. 38 Gunao Street corner Arlegui in Quiapo
On account of the fact that the great majority of its
students came from the province, the MBS was made into an Insular (or
national) school and accordingly renamed Philippine School of Commerce
(PSC). At first, the intermediate curriculum was prescribed in addition to
subjects such as typewriting, bookkeeping, and stenography. Afterwards a
four-year secondary course in commerce was offered in addition to the
courses in Bookkeeping, Stenography, Typewriting and Telegraphy.
This is the edifice on Gen. Solano Street (in San
Miguel, Manila) occupied by the Philippine School of Commerce
(1908-1933). This building was formerly occupied by the Bureau of
Audits and the Philippine Senate.
PSC Faculty, Filipino and American Teachers
The PSC was placed again under the supervision of the
Superintendent of City Schools for Administrative purposes only, but
retained its status as an Insular school. The PSC produced its first batch
of high school graduates. During this year the course in telegraphy was
discontinued since the Telegraph School of the Bureau of Posts offered
The PSC offered a one-year course in Stenography for high
school graduates. The course proved to be successful and popular because of
its positive results. Those who took the course got easily employed as
stenographers and later as office managers.
Students of the Philippine School of Commerce
building behind the San Miguel Church (1912)
To keep in step with changing conditions, the PSC started
revising its courses of study. Under the leadership of Acting Principal Luis
F. Reyes, it continually raised its general requisites. To enable young
people employed during the daytime to acquire further training, it opened
night classes (These classes would be discontinued in 1932 because of the
government's retrenchment policy).
Luis F. Reyes
From 1904, the PSC has known several homes: an old Spanish building
located at the foot of a small bridge at San Rafael Street, near the Mapa
High School to an old house at the corner at Dulungbayan Street (now Rizal
Avenue) and Dolores Street (now Bustos Street), Santa Cruz, Manila. Two
years later, it was transferred to Gunao Street, corner Arlegui in Quiapo,
in the building which now housed the Manila Blue Printing. At the end of
another two years, it found itself in a building in General Solano Street,
San Miguel, formerly occupied by the Bureau of Audits and the Philippine
Senate where it had the consolation of staying for four years. A building
behind the San Miguel Church was its next destination where it stayed for
about twelve years. Then back to the Gen. Solano Building. In this last
place, it remained for seven years up to 1933.
The PSC was merged with the Philippine Normal School (PNS)
and the Philippine School of Arts and Trades. During the merger, which
lasted for 12 years, it operated under the supervision and administration of
the PNS Superintendent. The PSC students who completed their respective
courses were considered graduates of the PNS. The PSC replaced its secondary
curriculum with a two-year junior college curriculum.
The House of the PNS-PSC Merger, Paco, Manila
The existence of PSC caught the attention of then
President Manuel L. Quezon. In his graduation address at the Rizal Memorial
Stadium on March 26, 1940, he said in part (addressing the graduates of the
School of Commerce):
"I can tell you why you are forgotten on these occasions. It is
because you do not belong here... I will do my best to get the National
Assembly to set aside a special appropriation for a building for the
School of Commerce, so that graduates of this school will henceforth be
where they can be noticed."
Subsequently, then Congressman Manuel A. Alazarte, with
then department head Luis F. Reyes, formulated a bill to this effect and was
presented to Congress. Unfortunately the Pacific War broke out. The plan was
not carried out.
During the war years, the PSC was among those institutions of learning
compelled to declare a blackout on culture.
Shortly after liberation, Superintendent Luis F. Reyes
resumed tasks for the re-establishment and rehabilitation of the school. The
appeal was returned with more than eight thousand pesos allocation received
from the national funds of the Bureau of Public Works for purposes of
repairs and maintenance of public buildings.
The ruins of the Normal Hall building was turned into an improvised house
of learning and on August 4, 1946, it was able to open formally regular
classes to surprisingly eager students. The PSC offered one-year and
two-year courses in retailing merchandising and a complete four-year course
in distributive arts education.
Meanwhile, the PNS found it necessary to use the Normal
Hall building as a dormitory. PSC, in turn, resigned to its lot of again
working in humble crowded rooms. This drove school authorities to seek
remedies for this unbearable situation. Representations were made to the
Philippine Alien Property Administrator, through Malacañang and the
Department of Foreign Affairs, for the acquisition of the Lepanto site.
Such representations were so intensified that on July 31, 1947 the two
buildings in Lepanto (now S.H. Loyola) Street in Sampaloc, Manila were
turned over to the Philippine Government for the exclusive use of the PSC.
The School began to move and on August 4 the official transfer was effected.
Luis F. Reyes was appointed PSC Superintendent.
This building was occupied by the House of
Congress before it was transferred to PSC (1947)
The PSC acquired the P.E. grounds, also on S.H. Loyola
Republic Act No. 415 was passed, providing for the
establishment of teacher-training departments in government schools. The PSC
was one of the beneficiaries of the said Act.
Three departments were organized: Teacher Training,
Business Education, and Research.
When the Philippine Educational System celebrated its Golden Jubilee, the
PSC was awarded a plaque in recognition of its achievement "for bold and
successful pioneering in vocational business education."