The PUP Laboratory High School has gone a long long way from its humble
beginnings in 1954 as the Philippine College of Commerce Laboratory High
School offering only a commercial curriculum to the secondary school that is
keeping pace with the technical developments of the cyber age.
Republic Act 779 converted the Philippine School of Commerce into the
Philippine College of Commerce that offered the 4-year Bachelor of Science
in Business Education, an academic development that made imperative the
establishment of a secondary school where senior BSBE students could observe
There were only eight pioneer teachers when the laboratory high school
opened in 1955. Listed in the roster were Virginia Aldana, Purificacion
Cecilio, Ruth David, Norma Diamante, Fulcida Eligado, Luz Gonzales, and
Gloria Talastas. They were soon joined by 18 new recruits; Natividad Agana,
Lydia Camit, Racquel Bernardo, Elsie Borja, Carolina Calderon, Fermin Cruz,
Rosalina de Lara, Ernesto Dumlao, Luisa de Lara, Soledad London, Celia
Rejuso, Julie del Rosario, Tomas San Pedro, Elena Sta. Ana, Francisco
Santos, Victoria Tanjutco, Carmen Tupas, and Lydia Villa.
Serving at the helm of the school was a succession of able and competent
principals: Apolinaria Seva, Brigido Sadsad, Gloria Talastas, Angelina
Manapat, Rosario Battung, Josefina Tan, Rosa Guirao, Fe Salting, Charito
Montemayor, Liceria Lorenzo, Carmencita L. Castolo and the incumbent Corazon
The trek to computerization began when Prof. Charito A. Montemayor
initiated the computerized enrolment. Ably helping her was an alumnus of the
LHS, Prof. Angelito Pastrana who was connected with the PUPILS, a group of
IT specialists tasked to handle the computerization projects of the
University. Dr. Liceria Lorenzo continued what her predecessor started.
During her term, report cards were computerized, too. The LHS observed its
Golden Anniversary with aplomb. The big event involving the alumni, faculty
(including the retirees), and administrators was competently supervised by
The LHS actively participated in the “World's Largest Human Rainbow” when
the University marked its Centenary. The high school students were the lead
dancers in that memorable event that made its way into the Guinness Book of
The Alumni Association has been very helpful in funding many of the
school's projects, such as the construction of a Multi-Purpose Hall and the
Mini Center for Livelihood and Entrepreneurial Development.
Attuned to the University's philosophy of fostering a spirit of
international humanism, the PUPLHS has sent a good number of its students
and faculty to exchange programs in Hongkong, Malaysia, Japan, and other
Asia-Pacific countries. It now boasts of a school paper that is edited by an
editor-consultant from Georgia, USA. Another milestone the laboratory high
school is proud of is its opening of the High School Website so it can be in
touch with its faculty, students, alumni, and other stakeholders who must be
kept abreast of the school's programs and activities.
The LHS administrators and faculty are exerting their best efforts to
uphold the tradition of academic excellence in the Laboratory High School.
All content is in the public domain unless otherwise stated.
Learn more about the Philippine government, its structure, how government works and the people behind it.
Please click/tap the appropriate link to help you in your navigation of our services
Applicant Student Faculty Member or Employee Researcher or Extensionist Alumni Partner Organization Institutional Accreditation Back to Homepage